Re: COPY BINARY is broken...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY BINARY is broken...
Date: 2000-12-03 17:10:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com> writes:
> Copy binary recently broke on me after upgrading to 7.0.

I think you're talking about binary copy via the frontend, which has a
different set of problems.  To fix that, we need to make some protocol
changes, which would (preferably) also apply to non-binary frontend
copy, which would create a compatibility problem.  (The reason the
protocol is broken is there's no reasonable way to find or signal the
end of the COPY data stream after an error.)

I think that's worth doing, but there's no time to design and implement
it for 7.1.  Maybe for 7.2.

> I think binary writes would actually be solved better and safer through
> some type of CORBA interface,

CORBA would provide a more machine-independent interface, but migrating
to CORBA would be a huge task, and I'm not sure the payoff is worth
it...