Re: Is my database now too big?

From: "Darren Reed" <darrenr+postgres(at)fastmail(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is my database now too big?
Date: 2007-10-07 08:00:07
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 23:05:23 -0700, "Joshua D. Drake"
<jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> said:
> Darren Reed wrote:
> > I'm starting to wonder if my database has finally grown too big for my
> > computer.
> >
> > But, rather than peform badly, I see a number of "bad things" happen:
> >
> > * pg_dump fails to run, causing an "out of memory" error (I don't
> > understand
> >   why this happens, but it does);
> >
> > * restarting postgres across a reboot results in tables disappearing
> >   without any error messages being given out (this is *really
> >   disturbing*.)
>
> Are you vacuuming?

No.  I'm just using the standard config

If you're implying I should?

The problems I've come across have become evident with as little work as
this:
- run "initdb"
- start postgres
- run "psql" to import the dumped data
- run for a short period of time (less than an hour)
- shutdown postgres
- reboot
- postgres starts
- the large tables are now missing

With the above, I wouldn't have thought there is enough time to do
vacuums,
which seem to take quite a while on large tables.  The activity is a
mixture
of inserts and updates (from triggers and plsql functions.)

Darren