Re: Major features for 9.1

From: Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Major features for 9.1
Date: 2011-04-03 18:18:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> I assume you mean by "innovation" that these are things where
> PostgreSQL
> was the first DBMS to implement them. The risk with that is, unless
> you
> do very careful research, someone might debunk each of these within 24
> hours after the release, making the whole thing look foolish.

Well, we can hedge a bit.  But, better, can someone (preferably several someones) on this list volunteer to do research?  Anyone?

> Moreover, the fact that something might have been innovated doesn't
> explain how it helps the user.

Truthfully, for a press release, it doesn't matter.  Many reporters/bloggers will happily quote that we're the first database with SSI without having a clue what it means.  In general, most reporters who cover databases don't really know know (or care) much about databases regardless (or "NoSQL" wouldn't have the press it does).

From a PR perspective, the important thing to get across is that the PostgreSQL project is innovating, implementing new database tech before anyone else.  This is critically important during a period where SQL-RDBMSes are being portrayed as "old grandfathers" in a press more enchanted with "the new hotness" of recently invented DBMSes.

Now, for our users and for serious database geeks, we *do* need an elevator-pitch explanation of several features which tells them why they should care.  Several features in particular are not immediately obvious:

* SSI
* wCTE
* KNN-GiST
* SE-Postgres
* Transaction-controlled Synch Rep

I would like to have volunteers from the advocacy list commit to taking on one of each of these features.  For each one we need:

a) a two-line explanation of what the feature is and why it's valuable (for the release notes, etc.)
b) a wiki page with a more detailed explaination and examples oriented towards the beginning-to-intermediate PostgreSQL user.

Volunteers?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.