Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-09-05 20:08:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-de-allgemein

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 19:34 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Ron Mayer wrote:
> > Regardless of the intent and of the best efforts of core and
> > the entire community the name is changing _now_ and _gradually_.
>
> Jan says our name is already being changed to Postgre`. I thought that
> was pretty funny.

The correct original pronunciation of the name Ingres does not sound the
trailing "s". Most language students attempting to say the name
correctly will do this, whether we call it Postgres or PostgreSQL.

I vote "Postgres". However much we advertise differently, most *users*
read what they see when they type "ps", and they see "postgres".

My suggested plan would be to just start using the name Postgres. Don't
make a broad industry announcement, just start using it and let the
older name tail away slowly. If asked, we just say we clarified the name
to avoid confusion between the two versions PostgreSQL and Postgres.
PostgreSQL need not be "wrong" its just the less preferred version now;
if people know the name PostgreSQL they can continue using it without
feeling stupid for getting it "wrong". Roughly the same as we would do
when we deprecate any commonly used feature.

My perspective is that the only incorrect spelling of Postgres is
"MySQL", etc.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com