Re: [HACKERS] Contrib modules documentation online

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Albert Cervera i Areny <albert(at)nan-tic(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Contrib modules documentation online
Date: 2007-08-29 18:18:44
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> Why wouldn't we just remove the README files altogether? I can't
> see maintaining duplicate sets of documentation.

I agree that duplication is bad, but I think README files in the
individual contrib directories is useful and worth keeping: if I'm about
to install a contrib module and want to learn how to install and use it,
this change would only make that information *more* difficult to find.

I wonder if it would be possible to keep the master version of the
contrib docs as SGML, and generate plaintext READMEs from it during the
documentation build.

-Neil