Re: PostgreSQL and virtualization

From: Adam Tauno Williams <adamtaunowilliams(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and virtualization
Date: 2007-08-24 13:43:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

> I'd like to do some tests with replication, high availability, ...
> with PostgreSQL. The problem I have is I don't have enough hardware to
> do such tests, so I'd like to use virtualization. I'd like to do it
> using linux. Nowadays there several products to do it Xen, Qemu, VMware,
> ... and I don't have any experience with any of them. Anybody has tried
> anything like this?

Sure, I host PostgreSQL on vmware-server. As far as PostgreSQL or any
application is concerned - it makes no difference at all - which is the
point of virtualization. I'd recommend vmware-server because it is (a)
free and (b) much more mature compared to the other two. The price of
virtualization is slower I/O so for high loads you need (1) more RAM
[never a bad thing anyway] and (2) emphasis on a good I/O subsystem
[also never a bad thing].