Re: European mailing list

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgeu-general <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2007-07-30 15:42:59
Lists: pgeu-general
On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 14:09 +0200, Jean-Christophe Arnu wrote:
> > The purpose of this message is twofold - first, to welcome those of you
> > that have already subscribed,
> Hi Dave, and European folks!,
>   thanks you for your welcome! Be sure, you would get some
> participation from PostgreSQLFr. I suppose you've met Jean-Paul and
> Guillaume in Prato so you may have discussed some kind of subject
> about EuPUG (sorry for abbreviating it). For those who had not the
> chance to be there, can you point some  URL or mail/text resource that
> may summarizing all discussed points during the Patro meeting (if
> existing) ? If not, does someone can make it on the mailing list?
> (that would be nice to you !) :)

The proposal for a European PostgreSQL User Group was discussed.  The
main problem was that we did not have consensus about the purpose and
objectives of such a group.  As a result, it was not possible at that
time to decide on any actions beyond setting up this mailing list.

Possible purposes:
1. General advocacy of PG in Europe
2. Promote PostgreSQL people in the market.
3. Serving as a PUG to cover countries which do not have a national PUG
4. Mutual support among European PUGs

Certain possible actions were discussed:
1. Creating a legal body to hold funds for a European PUG
	- needs to be in the Euro zone, so not in Britain
	- the French already have such a body; it could perhaps do
          this job for an EuPUG
2. Setting up a certification programme to enable PG people to have
   status on a par with developers/administrators certified for other

Oliver Elphick                                          olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight
   Do you want to know God?

believed to be clean.