Re: psql prompts with invisible characters

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Reece Hart <reece(at)in-machina(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql prompts with invisible characters
Date: 2004-01-16 21:34:30
Lists: pgsql-patches

Reece Hart <reece(at)in-machina(dot)com> writes:
> Okay, Tom, here's take II.

Okay, now that I understand what you want to do, how portable is this
across different readline versions --- how far back do they have support
for these RL_PROMPT_foo symbols, and do we need to consider the
possibility that the symbols aren't there or act differently?

BTW, you have a comment suggesting removing the contained text, but
that's all wrong --- lack of readline does not imply that the prompt is
being printed on a dumb terminal. We are leaving it up to the user to
select a prompt string that's compatible with his terminal; readline has
nothing to do with it. In short, ISTM that %[ and %] should simply be
ignored when readline isn't in use.

> warning: I've handchecked the sgml, but the doc tools I've got installed
> die when I make man within doc/src/sgml.

No idea about that. Maybe Peter will know.