Prepared statements, parameters and logging

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Postgres JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Prepared statements, parameters and logging
Date: 2007-06-25 10:47:29
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi all,

I have a system (postgres 8.1) which was until now running with JDBC
parameter prepareThreshold=1 so it is always using server side prepares
(we had some trouble in the past if not setting it so). Now we are
prepared to set this to 0, meaning no server side prepares by default...

The problem is that I did the switch and I still see queries which are
presumably server side prepared (marked with <unnamed> in the log - I
enabled reporting queries longer than 2 seconds)...

The question is how do I tell for sure from the DB log if a query is
server side prepared or not ? I was presuming that <unnamed> in the log
means server side prepare, some name like 'C_xyz' means client side
prepared statement. Is this correct ?

Thanks,
Csaba.