Re: Should array_length() Return NULL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should array_length() Return NULL
Date: 2013-03-15 22:42:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com> writes:
> Oh. Is there a way to declare an empty 1-dimension array?

Doesn't look like it:

regression=# select '[1:0]={}'::text[];
ERROR: upper bound cannot be less than lower bound
LINE 1: select '[1:0]={}'::text[];
^

Possibly we should allow that, but just as with the other point, it
would require some thought and investigation to make sure we weren't
creating more problems than we solved.