Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts

From: Andrew Hammond <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts
Date: 2007-06-05 17:52:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jun 5, 9:19 am, alvhe(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)commandprompt(dot)com (Alvaro Herrera) wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > >I don't think so; there is no demand from anybody but Zdenek to remove
> > >those programs. Has it ever even come up before?
>
> Personally I found really strange to have "createuser" and "createdb"
> shipped by Postgres when I started using it. I just didn't complain.

+1. Given the prevalence of the pg_foo convention, those names are
clunky. So is initdb. I'm less creative than Zdenek, so I'd suggest
simply renaming to pg_createuser and friends with the same command
line options as the originals. Have the binaries check $0 and emit a
warning about using the deprecated name to STDERR if called by a name
that doesn't have the pg_ prefix. Default to symlinking the old names
for backwards compatibility until 9.0.

Andrew