collision in serial numbers after INSERT?

From: lawpoop(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: collision in serial numbers after INSERT?
Date: 2007-05-31 16:46:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all -

I'm working on a site with PHP and Postgres, coming from a MySQL
background.

I was looking for an equivalent to the mysql_insert_id() function, and
a site recommended this:

function postg_insert_id($tablename, $fieldname)
{
global connection_id;
$result=pg_exec($connection_id, "SELECT last_value FROM ${tablename}_
${fieldname}_seq");
$seq_array=pg_fetch_row($result, 0);
return $seq_array[0];
}

It relies on pg's sequencing ability.

However, I wondered, if I were in an environment where there were many
concurrent inserts, would it be possible that I didn't get the serial
number of the insert that *I* just did? That if I do an insert, and
several inserts happen after mine, wouldn't I get the id of the latest
row, which is several inserts after mine?

I don't think this would be a problem in our environment, but I am
just wondering.