Re: BUG #3319: Superuser can't revoke grants on a schema given by aother user

From: Pedro Gimeno Fortea <pgsql(at)personal(dot)formauri(dot)es>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3319: Superuser can't revoke grants on a schema given by aother user
Date: 2007-05-30 18:55:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On 05/30/2007 08:44:19 PM, Pedro Gimeno Fortea wrote:

> Note that this is not similar to the GRANT case. I'd say it's similar
> to wanting to delete a table created by another user: if you're not
> the owner, you can't, unless you're a superuser. The similarity
> becomes obvious when replacing "delete a table created by" with
> "revoke a privilege granted by" and "owner" by "grantor".

To further ellaborate on this, let me compare the REVOKE case with the
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS <table_name> case. If it does not exist,
PostgreSQL issues a NOTICE-level message (in the parallel case, REVOKE
prints nothing, which is OK to me). But if it exists and the user who
wants to drop the table is not the owner or a superuser, an ERROR-level
message is printed:

"ERROR:  must be owner of relation auxiliar"

But, in the parallel case with REVOKE, nothing at all is printed. This
is a quite unexpected behaviour in my opinion.