Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and
Date: 2005-12-24 03:00:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu> writes:
> I revised the idea with MINIMAL XLOG (instead of WITHOUT XLOG) like the
> below. I think in this way, we can always gaurantee its correctness and
> can always improve it.

I think the entire idea is a waste of time anyway. If we have the COPY
case covered then we have done the only case that has any practical use
AFAICS --- you don't use UPDATE or DELETE for bulk loads, and you don't
use retail INSERTs either if you are striving for speed.

I don't want to see us mucking with the WAL logic without a *whole* lot
better rationale than has been presented so far.