Re: array_lower /array_prepend doubt

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>,pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: array_lower /array_prepend doubt
Date: 2004-01-21 19:15:51
Lists: pgsql-sql
> We may need another extension to the array literal syntax in
> order to deal with this. I'll report back after I've had some time to
> study it.

There already is support in array_in for specification of the array
dimensions (though it may be suffering bit rot for lack of use/testing).
I think the main thing needed is some thought about when array_out
should print dimensions; we don't want it doing so all the time, for
both clutter and backwards compatibility reasons.  Maybe "whenever any
lower bound is not 1" would do; or maybe we want to invent a GUC switch
to control its behavior.