Re: PITR and tar

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Dhaval Shah <dhaval(dot)shah(dot)m(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR and tar
Date: 2007-05-09 17:19:05
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 11:40 -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:
> Actually, looking at the docs, the problem is with some versions of
> GNU tar. AFAIK bsdtar is perfectly happy to archive files that have
> changed from underneath it.

$ tar --version
bsdtar 1.2.53 - libarchive 1.3.1

That fails to create a file in proper gzip format when the files are
concurrently modified.

However,

$ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.14
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public
License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

That _appears_ to work.

Perhaps FreeBSD users should take notice of this problem. It's certainly
not a postgresql problem, but I know there are a lot of freebsd users
here, and using tar on fast-changing data may be rare outside of
postgresql.

Regards,
Jeff Davis