Re: scrollable cursor support without MOVE statement

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)hotmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: scrollable cursor support without MOVE statement
Date: 2007-04-16 22:42:21
Lists: pgsql-patches

> "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > I'm concerned that many PL/pgSQL routines will now run slower because
> > they may now be considered scrollable when they previously were not.
>
> There is no change in the default behavior.

Previously:
- PL/pgSQL cursors were non-scrollable
- DECLARE CURSOR cursors were not non-scrollable by default

The new docs say it is "query dependent", whereas previously the default
was non-scrollable. That sounds like a change in the default behaviour,
so I'm trying to dig a little deeper.

Are you saying that if I don't say anything at all then a cursor will be
non-scrollable?

--
Simon Riggs