Re: [HACKERS] Updated TODO item

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Kaare Rasmussen <kar(at)kakidata(dot)dk>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Updated TODO item
Date: 2002-02-24 20:23:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>> CREATE DATABASE dbname WITH OWNER = "user"

> A much better idea. There is no conflict in using OWNER here.
> Revised patch attached.

I have applied this patch, with a couple of editorial tweaks, and one
not-so-minor change: superuser privilege is required to create a
database on behalf of another user. Seems to me that CREATEDB
privilege should not be sufficient to allow such an operation.

Still to do: teach createdb script about it, and revise pg_dumpall
to use the facility instead of assuming that database owners have
CREATEDB privilege. Working on those now ...