Re: pgadmin III crashes when inserting a row (1.6.2 and 1.6.3)

From: brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgadmin III crashes when inserting a row (1.6.2 and 1.6.3)
Date: 2007-04-03 19:23:59
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Mar 31, 5:01 pm, l(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)blueaxis(dot)com (Derrick Betts) wrote:
(...)
> I'm not an expert, however, your SQL query may need the double quotes
> around the field names and table name. Your table definition created
> the field names and table names with double quotes, therefore your SQL
> query must call those field names and table names with the double quotes
> as well.

Actually, this is not exact. Here is, what double quotes do
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS

In the example above "organization" is a non-reserved word in lower
case, so the double-quotes do nothing.
Jeanie might erroneoulsy have used mixed-case in creating the object.
Like:
CREATE TABLE "Organization" ...
That would explain everything, of course.

Personally, I would refrain from using identifiers that need double-
quoting to begin with. Makes your life easier.

Regards
Erwin