Re: [Fwd: Deferred Transactions, Transaction Guaranteeand COMMITwithout waiting]

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Deferred Transactions, Transaction Guaranteeand COMMITwithout waiting]
Date: 2007-04-03 15:06:59
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 15:04 +0100, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> >> Here's the next version (v10) of the patch, ready for review.

Thanks for reviewing.

> >> I've struggled with what to call all of the new concepts inherent in
> >> this patch, but I think I've got something now. COMMIT NOWAIT doesn't
> >> describe this feature, since there is no command of that name in the
> >> implementation that we've agreed. So what's it called?
>
> Hmm. Deferred commit? Asynchronous commit?

I'll change everything to whatever we agree. Other ideas?

> >> wal_writer_delay = 0 (default) ms enables this feature at server start.
> >> Once enabled, individual sessions or transactions may request
> >> transaction_guarantee = off, or it may be set for the whole server.
>
> This error message talks about commit_fsync_delay:
> ERROR: cannot set transaction guarantee when server commit_fsync_delay = 0
>
> Should be wal_writer_delay, I suppose.

Thanks, will change.

> The HeapTupleSetVisibilityInfo function with it's action-argument looks
> funny to me.

Lets see what others think as well.

> You don't need to check if a transaction has been flushed when setting
> the HEAP_XMAX/XMIN_INVALID flags for aborted transactions.

I was after as little change as possible in the code, which is why I
left that as it was. But I think you're right and that's a one line
change to avoid that is possible. Will do.

--
Simon Riggs