Runaway Instances of Postmaster

From: "ccannick" <ccannick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Runaway Instances of Postmaster
Date: 2007-03-05 16:50:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm running v8.0 on Linux and am seeing the following phenomenon:

With each connection, I get more and more postmasters running that
never complete, die, or timeout. Eventually all of my memory is
depleted and the system is severely hampered.

On my other servers postmaster normally forks another process which is
quickly renamed postgres: some service.

I have dozens of postmasters running on the server and some are over
300 hours old.

Any clues to this behavior would be appreciated.

Thanks.