Re: HOT - preliminary results

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HOT - preliminary results
Date: 2007-03-01 19:51:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 22:35 +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> Merlin Moncure wrote:
>  > On 3/1/07, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>  >>
>  > seems pretty solid except for one possible problem...at one point when
>  > I dropped then later added the index on 'abalance', I got spammed
>  > 'WARNING:  found a HOT-updated tuple' from psql prompt.
>
> Thats intentional. We don't yet support CREATE INDEX on a HOT-updated
> table. This is one of the major unfinished TODO items before we can
> consider patch feature complete. I have left the warning to catch
> this case till then.

CREATE INDEX and VACUUM FULL will require changes. Proposals for VACUUM
FULL have been posted, CREATE INDEX should be there tomorrow.

CLUSTER does not need changes for HOT, as things stand currently, mainly
because its MVCC behaviour is broken.

I've not looked in detail yet at the various ALTER TABLE modes, but will
do so in the next day or so.

--
  Simon Riggs