Re: Stripping kernel FreeBSD - postgres

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Stripping kernel FreeBSD - postgres
Date: 2006-11-30 19:54:31
Lists: pgsql-general
On Nov 30, 2006, at 8:50 AM, Enrico wrote:

> I already read your link and it is not specific for Postgres, I'm
> searching for a
> more specific document.

Just remove any devices you don't have on your machine, and remove
any "extras" like linux compat, older version compat, etc.  You
probably also want to disable kernel module loading (and not build
any modules).

... but the kernel is demand paged so it won't really load up the
code that's not used.

Personally I have a pseudo-custom configuration that covers all of my
various machines and removes devices and modules I don't need.  I
load up USB on computers that have only USB keyboards as a module for
example.

You should spend more time tuning postgres itself.