Re: Isolated databases or instances

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Henry, Nigel, CYFD" <nigel(dot)henry(at)state(dot)nm(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Isolated databases or instances
Date: 2007-02-16 21:56:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 15:16, Tom Lane wrote:
> Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com> writes:
> > On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 13:18, Henry, Nigel, CYFD wrote:
> >> We are at the beginning of the building of a 3-tier
> >> development/test/uat environment. We would like some advice on how
> >> the PostgreSQL database should be configured for this environment.
>
> > What exactly are you trying to accomplish with multiple PostgreSQL
> > instances here? I can't see there being any great advantage to three
> > separate instances than having three discrete databases defined in one
> > instance.
>
> Separating development and production instances seems perfectly sensible
> to me. For instance, if your development code triggers a crash in
> Postgres, you don't really want that event to take out your production
> sessions. Also, you might want to run Postgres version x+1 for awhile
> as development before replacing version x for production.

I agree. (Note that this is dev/test/uat, not prod/dev).

But it really depends on his usage patterns and such. If he's not
planning on doing any functions in C, and assuming that testing of
things like pgsql / jboss / apache will be done on another system
entirely, then it might well be easier to run everything from one
database server.

I think we need to know more about the planned usage to really say one
way or the other.