Re: Fwd: Out of Memory on Reindex

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Out of Memory on Reindex
Date: 2007-05-31 15:44:30
Lists: pgsql-admin
"Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> This is on a 32bit dual HT Xeon system using the official rpms.

Um.  I suspect you can't usefully set maintenance_work_mem as high as
1Gb in a 32-bit environment.  Last I heard, the max address space
available to userland in 32-bit Linux is 3Gb (the kernel takes the other
Gb).  Out of that you've got to subtract Postgres' shared memory, the
program code itself, and whatever other random internal overhead a
backend has got.  I don't think you mentioned what shared memory
settings you were using, but if you've been equally expansive on
shared_buffers and so on it could easily be approaching 2Gb in shared
memory.

Try knocking maintenance_work_mem back to 512M or 256M and see if things
get better.