Re: [HACKERS] wal_checksum = on (default) | off

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jim Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] wal_checksum = on (default) | off
Date: 2007-01-06 14:41:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:
> > On Jan 5, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD wrote:
> >> Ok, so when you need CRC's on a replicate (but not on the master) you
>
> > Which sounds to me like a good reason to allow the option in
> > recovery.conf as well...
>
> Actually, I'm not seeing the use-case for a slave having a different
> setting from the master at all?
>
> "My backup server is less reliable than the primary."
>
> "My backup server is more reliable than the primary."
>
> Somehow, neither of these statements seem likely to be uttered by
> a sane DBA ...

If I take a backup of a server and bring it up on a new system, the
blocks in the backup will not have been CRC checked before they go to
disk.

If I take the same server and now stream log records across to it, why
*must* that data be CRC checked, when the original data has not been?

I'm proposing choice, with a safe default. That's all.

--
Simon Riggs