Re: postgres 8.2 doesn't start after ubuntu upgrade

From: "Bryan Keith" <bryan(at)ideotrope(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Daniel J(dot) Summers" <daniel(at)djs-consulting(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgres 8.2 doesn't start after ubuntu upgrade
Date: 2009-03-01 14:39:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

>> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Daniel J. Summers
>> <daniel(at)djs-consulting(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The command you're looking for is pg_upgradecluster. There's a
>>> description
>>> of it at
>>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/pg_upgradecluster.8.html
>>> . I
>>> believe the only time you'll need this is if you change the major or
>>> minor
>>> version - for 8.3.5 to 8.3.6, for example, I believe there's no upgrade
>>> required.
>>

> This sounds promising. However, how do I start the cluster? Here's what
> I did. Remember that trying to start 8.2 doesn't do anything.
>
> $ /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.2 start
> $ pg_upgradecluster 8.2 main
> Error: specified cluster is not running
> $ ls /etc/postgresql/8.2
> main
> $
>
> Am I doing something wrong here?
>
> Bryan

After thinking about this a little more, I realize that the problem for me
is not that the upgrade didn't go well. It's that I can't access my data
on 8.2. If upgrading the cluster allows me to access the data, great. If
I can access the data on 8,2, that'd be great, too, and then I can worry
about upgrading. It looks to me like the data is still there:

$ du -shc /var/lib/postgresql/8.2/*
308M /var/lib/postgresql/8.2/main
308M total
$ du -shc /var/lib/postgresql/8.3/*
30M /var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main
30M total
$

How can I see it? Why won't 8.2 start? Note that I get no message at the
prompt when trying to start 8.2.

Bryan