Re: Invalid page header in block 211 of relation

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: ashok(at)kalculate(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Invalid page header in block 211 of relation
Date: 2007-01-02 20:11:32
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 06:04, ashok(at)kalculate(dot)com wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm using postgresql 7.4 on FC4 linux.
> i have one table named "purchase". it is working fine since 10 months but
> suddenly from 3-4 days it creates problem.
> when i'm fire a simple "select * from purchase" query on psql prompt,it
> gives following error:
>
> Invalid page header in block 211 of relation "purchase".
>
> i cannot understand what is the problem, why it is giving this error.
> plz. help me.

This is a serious problem.  Most of the time you see this it can be
blamed on broken hardware, although on rare occasions a pgsql bug might
be causing it.

There are several things you can do, and they kind of depend on the
answer to the question "How important are the data in your database?"

Can you take this machine out of production to test it?  I'd recommend a
good memory tester and to check your drives for possible errors.

Has this machine crashed or had the power plug pulled lately?  If so, it
might be a problem with IDE hard drives and fsyncing.

Lastly, got a backup?