Re: TODO: GNU TLS

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
Subject: Re: TODO: GNU TLS
Date: 2006-12-30 00:58:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I do not like --with-krb5 because it has extremely limited real world
> > use.
>
> Riiigghhhttt... Only every Windows setup which uses Active Directory,
> most major universities, and certain large corporations (uh, AOL?) would
> even think to use something like Kerberos!

I said "Extremely Limited" real world use. Between just two of my
customers, in the next 2 years we (CMD) will have 12 thousand postgresql
installations. Not one of them will use Kerberos.

> > I do not like --with-pam but only because I have never gotten it to
> > work.
>
> We use it on some of our production systems (since it can provide
> cracklib, password expiration, etc, and the postgres instance inside
> it's own vserver so it doesn't hurt as much to make the passwd/shadow
> files available to it...). I'd be happy to help you get it to work if
> you'd like, and I could even provide you with some PG/C functions to use
> password changing and password aging. :)

Oh, I am sure it is great. I have just never tried that hard to get it
to work :)

> > I do like --with-ldap because it is pretty much standard within
> > directory lookups by the nature of Active Directory.
>
> Funny you like LDAP but not Kerberos, both of which are part of Active
> Directory... Using LDAP simple binds to AD for authentication is
> *quite* silly and *much* less secure than using Kerberos...

Yes but LDAP gives me a lot of other things, easily and it has SSL. SSL
+ Firewall gives me 98% of the security I need.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/