Re: Problems converting between C string and Datum

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jack Orenstein" <jack(dot)orenstein(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems converting between C string and Datum
Date: 2006-09-20 17:41:11
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jack Orenstein" <jack(dot)orenstein(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I have a char* which I need as a Datum, for use with a plan returned
> from SPI_prepare, so I'm doing this:

> char* string;
> Datum d;
> d = DirectFunctionCall1(textin, CStringGetDatum(string));
> ereport(WARNING, (errmsg("string: %s",
> DatumGetCString(DirectFunctionCall1(textout, d)))));

That looks OK as far as it goes, so I speculate the problem is in
something you didn't show us.

> This crashes doing the ereport:

If you are doing backend C code you should certainly learn how to use
gdb to narrow things down more than that. A stack trace would be much
more informative than "server closed the connection unexpectedly".