Re: Autovacuum Improvements

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum Improvements
Date: 2006-12-22 10:11:46
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 18:41, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > From all the discussion here I think the most benefit would result from
> > a means to assign tables to different categories, and set up separate
> > autovacuum rules per category (be it time window when vacuuming is
> > allowed, autovacuum processes assigned, cost settings, etc). I doubt you
> > can really define upfront all the vacuum strategies you would need in
> > real life, so why not let the user define it ? Define the categories by
> > assigning tables to them, and the rules per category. Then you can
> > decide what rules to implement, and what should be the defaults...
>
> Hmm, yeah, I think this is more or less what I have in mind.

Cool :-)

Can I suggest to also consider the idea of some kind of autovacuum
process group, with settings like:

- number of processes running in parallel;
- time windows when they are allowed to run;

Then have the table categories with all the rest of the
threshold/cost/delay settings.

Then have the possibility to assign tables to categories, and to assign
categories to processing groups.

I think this would allow the most flexibility with the minimum of
repetition in settings (from the user perspective).

Cheers,
Csaba.