Re: Companies Contributing to Open Source

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Companies Contributing to Open Source
Date: 2006-12-20 00:43:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > Do you have any statistical data to back that hypothesis?
> >
> > Of which, the community learning or my take that if we ignore one over
> > the other it is destined to fail?
>
> This actually brings up an important distinction. Joshua is saying that
> the community is painted as "god" in the article, and I agree there is a
> basis for that, but I don't think you can consider the community and
> company as equals either.

I can agree with that.

> I remember the president of Great Bridge
> saying that the company needs the community, but not visa-vera --- if
> the company dies, the community keeps going (as it did after Great
> Bridge, without a hickup), but if the community dies, the company dies
> too.

I 95% agree here. If EDB or CMD were go to down in flames, it could hurt
the community quite a bit. It isn't that the community wouldn't go on,
but that it would definitely negatively affect the productivity of the
community for "n" amount of time.

> Also, the community is developing the software at a rate that
> almost no other company can match, so again the company is kind of in
> toe if they are working with the community process. For example, the
> community is not submitting patches for the company to approve.

Agreed.

> I do think I need to add a more generous outreach to companies in the
> article, explaining how valuable they are to the community, so let me
> work on that and I will post when I have an update.

Cool, that is what I was really looking for.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/