Re: Embedding postgresql in my application

From: Murray Cumming <murrayc(at)murrayc(dot)com>
To: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Embedding postgresql in my application
Date: 2006-12-19 15:36:53
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 13:16 +0700, Jeroen T. Vermeulen wrote:
> f your application
> can run under many different user identities and each should have its
> own
> database user, use "ident sameuser"

I believe that ident authentication requires an additional service such
as gidentd. Well, I think that's been my experience in the past.

> and create a database user for every
> system user when that user first runs the application:
>
> createuser -h "$DBDIR/data" \
> --no-superuser \
> --no-createrole \
> --no-createdb \
> $USERNAME

createuser asks for a password on stdin. Do you know of any way to
specifify an initial superuser and password for a new database cluster
without doing it via stdin? That doesn't seem like a stable API that I
should rely on.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc(at)murrayc(dot)com