Re: Switching to XML

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Switching to XML
Date: 2006-12-08 21:26:00
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 21:58 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > You can create, edit, convert, save, and open docbook xml in
> > OpenOfice.org.
>
> Sure, there are more editing options with DocBook XML. No one disputes
> that. But the question at hand was about processing the DocBook.

Yes which is generated from our use of SGML which is the core of this
problem and the core of the question as a whole.

SGML is making working with the documentation *harder*.

We have people that *DO NOT* contribute because of this SGML
requirement. They have what I consider extremely valid reasons, namely
it is dumb to require a writer to use emacs or write tags explictly.

Hell, the only reason I have even bothered to contribute what little I
have to the docs is because I wrote a book in SGML, thus it is a no
brainer to me. Others aren't so tortured as to have done the same.

There is a long standing support within the community to move to XML
including:

Josh Berkus
Josh Drake
Robert Treat
Andrew Dunslane
David Blewett
David Fetter
Devrim Gunduz
Darcy Buskermolen

And that is just from #postgresql

The french team also uses Docbook XML and they can generate a PDF in 30
minutes... it takes us DAYS because of the SGML.

How about we stopping using assembling and move to C shall we?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/