Re: how to find index columns

From: "Timasmith" <timasmith(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to find index columns
Date: 2006-12-06 17:57:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Why isn't there a view to show indexed columns" is a different question
> to "why isn't there a view in information_schema to show indexed columns".
>
> The answer to the former is "because after I did most of the work to
> provide a complete set of system views, many developers expressed the
> view that they would be pointless, and consequently I became
> insufficiently motivated to finish them beyond what I myself use".

I am sorry for that, darn developers obviously arent performing their
own large scale database upgrades - I guess they left it up their DBA
to do it manually...

> The answer to the latter is "because the definition of information_schema
> is in the SQL spec, and it doesn't include indexes".
>
> > But I still love it, I will do a parsing script for now.
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/newsysviews/ and look for index_columns.sql
> in the CVS.
>
> --
> Andrew, Supernews
> http://www.supernews.com - individual and corporate NNTP services

I did find it but I am struggling to pull it out and apply to 8.1
database on its own. The query and/or view creation has a dependency
on functions in

pg_sysviews

so it seems like I need the whole package.