Re: show all;

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: show all;
Date: 2001-06-02 14:31:52
Lists: pgsql-patches

> The issue is that it fills the logs if used a lot:

Well, that's a generic problem with all our "helpful" NOTICEs.
ROLLBACK is far from being the only sinner. ISTM if you don't
like log bloat, the answer is to attack that head-on, not invent
yet another nonstandard spelling for ROLLBACK.

Some ideas to think about:

1. Invent SET variables to control the minimum elog severity level
that gets into the logs or sent to the client, rather than hard-wiring
these levels at DEBUG and NOTICE respectively.

2. Divide existing NOTICEs into more than one severity level. We have
a lot of messages like 'CREATE TABLE will create a sequence' that might
be helpful for development but are just plain nuisances in production
applications. It would be nice to turn off the "picky" notices at will.
#1 would take care of this if they had a lower severity level than other
notices.