Re: [SQL] Case Preservation disregarding case

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Chuck McDevitt" <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>, "Stephan Szabo" <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, "beau hargis" <beauh(at)bluefrogmobile(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] Case Preservation disregarding case
Date: 2006-11-14 21:42:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

> "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > We have namespaces to differentiate between two sources of object names,
> > so anybody who creates a schema where MyColumn is not the same thing as
> > myColumn is not following sensible rules for conceptual distance.
>
> I'd agree that that is not a good design practice, but the fact remains
> that they *are* different per spec.
>
> > Would be better to make this behaviour a userset
> > switchable between the exactly compliant and the more intuitive.
>
> That's certainly not happening --- if you make any changes in the
> semantics of equality of type name, it would have to be frozen no
> later than initdb time, for exactly the same reasons we freeze
> locale then (hint: index ordering).

[Re-read all of this after Bruce's post got me thinking.]

My summary of the thread, with TODO items noted:

1. PostgreSQL doesn't follow the spec, but almost does, with regard to
comparison of unquoted and quoted identifiers. DB2 does this per spec.

2. TODO: We could follow the spec, but it would need an initdb option;
some non-SQL:2003 standard PostgreSQL programs would not work as they do
now. This is considered a minor, low priority item, though.

3. TODO: We could set column headers better if we wanted to (rather
than ?column? we could use e.g. Sum_ColumnName etc)

--
Simon Riggs