Re: [HACKERS] plPHP in core?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,"Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] plPHP in core?
Date: 2005-04-02 05:04:48
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Are we interested in having plPHP in core?

> Is there a reason why it can no longer operate as a standalone language
> out of pgfoundry, like pl/java and pl/perl?

PLs are sufficiently tightly tied to the core that it's probably
easier to maintain them as part of our core CVS than otherwise.
(Ask Joe Conway about PL/R.  Thomas Hallgren is probably not that
happy about maintaining pl/java out of core, either.  And pl/perl
*is* in core.)

I'm thinking that a pl/PHP is much more interesting for the long term
than, say, pl/tcl (mind you, I am a Tcl partisan from way back, but
I see that many people are not so enlightened).  Barring any licensing
problems I think this is something to pursue.