Re: Switching database inside current connection

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Jeff Madison <jeff(at)madisonfam(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Switching database inside current connection
Date: 2006-09-28 14:33:51
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 23:17, Jeff Madison wrote:
> I have to search multiple, identical databases on a server and am
> currently having to create a DataSource for each database on the server
> and then get a connection.  How would I create a DataSource for the
> server and then modify the connnection to "switch" databases.  I would
> like to just re-use the same connection for obvious reasons.
>
> I'm running server version 7.3 and the coinciding JDBC driver version.

If you can move away from individual databases to multiple schemas in
one database, then your problem would be solved.  Schema support was
initially added in 7.3, but the tools needed for examining schemas and
such were not quite done all the way back then.  Upgrading to 7.4 at
least makes dealing with schemas a little easier, and if you're
upgrading to 7.4, might as well go all the way and get 8.1.4.  7.3 is on
the very tail end of what's considered "supported".