Re: Does PostgreSQL run with Oracle?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does PostgreSQL run with Oracle?
Date: 2004-10-15 18:06:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com writes:
> My basic question to the community is "is PostgreSQL approximately as fast
> as Oracle?"

The anecdotal evidence I've seen leaves me with the impression that when
you first take an Oracle-based app and drop it into Postgres, it won't
perform particularly well, but with tuning and tweaking you can roughly
equal and often exceed the original performance. The two DBs are enough
unalike that a database schema that's been tuned for Oracle is probably
mistuned for Postgres. You will certainly find "some things are faster,
some are slower" at the end of the day, but we've had lots of satisfied
switchers ...