Re: Improving backend launch time by preloading relcache

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving backend launch time by preloading relcache
Date: 2002-01-29 05:06:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> The change on tcop/utility.c seems to inhibit the execution
> of REINDEX of system indexes under postmaster which I allowed
> except some system indexes in 7.1.

That strikes me as a fairly dangerous idea. Do you really
believe it's safe? Also, why would it be safe to allow reindex
at the table level and not at the index level, which is what
the code did before I touched it?

> Especially setNewRelfilenode() unlinks the pg_internal.init
> file in case the relation is nailed.

Probably with this change I'm planning, it'll be necessary to unlink
pg_internal.init for any system relation, not only nailed ones.
Thanks for pointing that out.