replication/synchronisation

From: Glenn Davy <glenn(at)tangelosoftware(dot)net>
To: Novice Postgresql-list <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: replication/synchronisation
Date: 2006-09-07 03:10:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi All - now heres a stupid question...
for better or worse a lot of project 'documentation' (wikis et.al.) and
project administration occurs in web applications. A lot of my time is
spent for example in either trac or media wiki - and in my case these
nearly are always in a postgres backend.

Unfortunately I can no longer just check out the latest documents and
take em off line on my laptop, edit them and merge them back later any
more.

so obviously I want to take my laptop with a snap shot of the database,
(and wiki software etc) work on it, then synchronise it back to the
'master'.

My question (finally) is: are the existing tools for that purpose - are
pgpool or pgcluster or slony suitable? I'm tempted to try and script it
myself, but am apprehensive about manging id clashes primarily, and of
course managing rows updated in >1 db instance - and whatever else I
havent even though of

thanks for any help
glenn