Re: Client UI, ODBC, PG & permissions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Philippe Lang" <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Client UI, ODBC, PG & permissions
Date: 2004-03-25 15:41:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc
"Philippe Lang" <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch> writes:
> How do you manage permissions in your applications? Is it possible to
> read the permissions a user has on a specific table from the client,

Sure.  See has_table_privilege() and related functions:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/functions-misc.html

I think there may be privilege info available from the
information_schema as well, which would be a better bet if you want to
preserve some semblance of database independence.

We don't currently support any per-column privileges, sorry.