Re: Page format changes for 8.2?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Page format changes for 8.2?
Date: 2006-06-28 04:53:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Do we have anything in the pipeline that would result in page format changes
> for 8.2?

[ looks at
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/include/catalog/catversion.h
]

I don't see any page format changes per se, but inet/cidr datatype
representation changed here:

	* doc/src/sgml/func.sgml, src/backend/optimizer/path/indxpath.c,
	src/backend/utils/adt/network.c, src/include/catalog/catversion.h,
	src/include/catalog/pg_amop.h, src/include/catalog/pg_cast.h,
	src/include/catalog/pg_operator.h, src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h,
	src/include/utils/builtins.h, src/include/utils/inet.h,
	src/test/regress/expected/opr_sanity.out,
	src/test/regress/sql/opr_sanity.sql: Clean up the INET-vs-CIDR
	situation.  Get rid of the internal is_cidr flag and rely
	exclusively on the SQL type system to tell the difference between
	the types.  Prevent creation of invalid CIDR values via casting
	from INET or set_masklen() --- both of these operations now
	silently zero any bits to the right of the netmask.  Remove
	duplicate CIDR comparison operators, letting the type rely on the
	INET operators instead.

We've debated before how to get pg_upgrade to handle these sorts of
changes.  If you want to make it happen, step right up ...