Which benchmark to use for testing FS?

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Which benchmark to use for testing FS?
Date: 2006-08-23 22:23:03
Lists: pgsql-performance
I am planning to test various filesystems on some new hardware I'm
getting. Is pgbench a good way to try out the filesystem?

I'm currently planning to test some or all of:
Linux: ext2, ext3, XFS, JFS, reiser3, reiser4
FreeBSD: UFS, UFS+SU

So, I'm looking for a good way to test just the filesystem performance
through PostgreSQL (since database access is different than normal FS
activity). Would pgbench give me a good approximation?

Also, do ext2 or UFS without soft updates run the risk of losing or
corrupting my data?

I saw Chris Browne did some benchmarks back in 2003 and determined that
JFS was a good choice. However, I assume things have changed somewhat
since then. Does anyone have a pointer to some newer results?

Regards,
	Jeff Davis

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Dave DutcherDate: 2006-08-23 23:19:59