Re: Connection limit and Superuser

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connection limit and Superuser
Date: 2006-07-31 13:31:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 15:00 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 08:47:38AM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > It appears that the superuser does not have connection limit
> > enforcement. I think this should be changed.
>
> So if some admin process goes awry and uses up all the connection
> slots, how does the admin get in to see what's happening? If there's a
> limit you're not really superuser, are you?

Work this one through.

If an admin process goes awry and uses up all the connection slots it
has reached max_connections AND used superuser_reserved_connections as
well.

This means an admin cannot get in to see what is happening.

That's what happens today.

I would much prefer that Superuser 'a' reaches WITH CONNECTION LIMIT for
user 'a' and superuser 'b' can get in to see what is happening.