Re: Connection limit and Superuser

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connection limit and Superuser
Date: 2006-07-31 13:07:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 15:00, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 08:47:38AM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > It appears that the superuser does not have connection limit
> > enforcement. I think this should be changed.
>
> So if some admin process goes awry and uses up all the connection
> slots, how does the admin get in to see what's happening? If there's a
> limit you're not really superuser, are you?

I thought there is a limit for super-users too... citation from:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/runtime-config-connection.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CONNECTION-SETTINGS

max_connections (integer)

Determines the maximum number of concurrent connections to the
database server. The default is typically 100, but may be less
if your kernel settings will not support it (as determined
during initdb). This parameter can only be set at server start.

Increasing this parameter may cause PostgreSQL to request more
System V shared memory or semaphores than your operating
system's default configuration allows. See Section 16.4.1 for
information on how to adjust those parameters, if necessary.

superuser_reserved_connections (integer)

Determines the number of connection "slots" that are reserved
for connections by PostgreSQL superusers. At most
max_connections connections can ever be active simultaneously.
Whenever the number of active concurrent connections is at least
max_connections minus superuser_reserved_connections, new
connections will be accepted only for superusers.

The default value is 2. The value must be less than the value of
max_connections. This parameter can only be set at server start.

Cheers,
Csaba.