Re: Vacuum stops with misleading max_fsm_pages error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Kieran Cooper, Lyris UK" <kieran(at)lyris(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuum stops with misleading max_fsm_pages error
Date: 2007-04-16 22:36:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

> Kieran Cooper, Lyris UK wrote:
>> INFO: free space map contains 20914 pages in 61 relations
>> DETAIL: A total of 14992 page slots are in use (including overhead).
>> 14992 page slots are required to track all free space.
>> Current limits are: 900000 page slots, 6000 relations, using 5659 kB.

> I am not sure what your question is. The above looks perfectly reasonable.

I think he's wondering why the second number is less than the first.
AFAICT that should be impossible after a VACUUM FULL, but there are
probably tables that haven't been touched by the VACUUM FULL --- stuff
in other databases being one obvious possibility. As for the vacuum
not having done every table in the current database, did you run it
as superuser?