Re: table/index fillfactor control, try 2

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: table/index fillfactor control, try 2
Date: 2006-06-19 08:31:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 14:36 +0900, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > > 2. Store the structures in AM's meta page. But heaps don't have meta pages.
> >
> > But perhaps they should? That sounds very similar to the idea of
> > non-transactional pg_class data.
>
> Presently, I suppose the parameters are not modified so many times.
> They are set only on build time or maintenance.
>
> I think we will need metapages in the future, but not right now. If we will
> provide an automatic configurator for fillfactors (or other parameters),
> parameters might be changed every time the configurator runs, for example,
> per autovacuum.

Yes, I can see that future too.

> > The metagpages thought would require some consolidation from various
> > other proposals, so we'll need to wait for wider discussion on that.
>
> I agree, but it is easy to move the metadata from catalog to metapages.
> So the metapages thought can be reconciled among proposals that must need it.
> (pg_class_nt and dead tuples bitmaps?)

I've copied in Alvaro to comment on possible cross-overs between these
projects...

Looks like we've got a class of data that is similar in its frequency of
change to the pg_class_nt stuff.

Also, the discussion about having some of this type of info cached in
shared memory seems to have dried up. Should we now go for pg_class_nt
plus shared memory cache?

--
Simon Riggs