Re: fillfactor using WITH syntax

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fillfactor using WITH syntax
Date: 2006-06-06 11:10:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 11:45 +0900, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> Hi Hackers,
>
> I'm rewriting fillfactor patch, per the following discussion,
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-03/msg00287.php
> Now fillfactor can be set using WITH syntax:
> - CREATE INDEX index ON table USING btree (columns) WITH (...)
> - CREATE TABLE table (i integer PRIMARY KEY WITH (...))
> - ALTER TABLE table ADD PRIMARY KEY (columns) WITH (...)

Sounds good.

This is important in other situations too, e.g.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-09/msg00851.php

> The settings are stored on pg_class.relfillfactor and the last value will
> be used on next REINDEX. WITH parameter is a list of DefElems, so we can
> use it to pass additional parameters to index access methods.

Are you implementing the array of parameters on pg_index as Tom
suggested or pg_class.relfillfactor?

Why not implement an array of option parameters on pg_class, so both
heaps and indexes can be given additional parameters? That way you
wouldn't need a specific relfillfactor attribute. That would allow us to
keep CREATE TABLE free of additional keywords also.

--
Simon Riggs